DDoS protected DNS is an additional beneficial service. Let’s explain a little bit more about it.
DDoS attack – What is it?
The DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) attack is a cyber-attack that aims to disable your service, network, website. That usually happens by sending a serious amount of traffic until your server goes down, or they exploit the DNS or protocol such as the UDP flaw and triple your website or application.
There are a lot of different DDoS attacks, and oftentimes they bring down even big companies, for instance, Amazon. Therefore, if you don’t have proper protection, you are risking a lot. In addition, in case you are utilizing shared hosting, such an attack on any of your “neighbors” is going to reflect on you too.
What is DDoS protected DNS?
DDoS protected DNS is an additional service that includes several different tools and mechanisms to inspect traffic and prevent DDoS attacks. Cybercriminals organize and initiate DDoS attacks with large amounts of traffic. Their main goal is to make your servers incapable of responding to the queries of your regular users.
What does DDoS protected DNS include?
- Monitor. Monitor the entire incoming DNS traffic. In case it detects an abnormal pattern, it could take different actions to prevent a potential DDoS attack towards your website. For that reason, acknowledging the traffic is crucial.
- Deep analysis of the traffic. The best understanding of the standard patterns of the traffic and use them for comparison.
- Filter. Implementing a filter of the incoming traffic depending on whitelisting or blacklisting and different criteria. The prevention can determine and eliminate malicious traffic.
- Traffic separation. Comprehend what regular user traffic is and what fake traffic is.
- Spread the traffic. In some situations, only a load balancing technique could be enough to distribute the fake traffic. That way, the DNS servers are going to share the load and withstand the attack.
- Activate Failovers. If one of your servers goes down, it is going to inform you about the event. In addition, it is going to redirect the traffic to the remaining DNS servers. You won’t need a human operator to accomplish that, and it is going to be performed automatically.
Why should you get DDoS protected DNS?
- Downtime. If you decide to implement DDoS protection, your servers are going to handle a lot more traffic even under a DDoS attack. So, as a result, the downtime is going to be significantly less. Your customers won’t be bothered to reach your application or website.
- Easy to manage. Basic DNS knowledge is all you need, and it will be very simple. You just have to set it up, and from there, the monitors and failover tool are able to operate by themselves. Just in cases when the attack is very strong, your IT team and the customer service of the DNS provider together are going to have to fight the DDoS attack.
- Great performance. The DNS service provider could give you a better distribution of traffic. Your website or application is going to remain available for your visitors even under attack. That way, the productivity, and performance are excellent.
- It is more profitable. Downtime could cost a lot. Imagine your services or a website not being available for your customers. You are going to lose a lot of potential purchases and earnings. So, you see that DDoS-protected DNS service is really worth it.